Skip to main content


Army stiching hands green tekst tools


By Blog posts, Commissioned No Comments


This advertisement was shot for the Dutch army, who at the time were in search for doctors.

The army had already made a larger campaign that used the words “geschikt” (appropriate) and “ongeschikt” (inappropriate). We wanted to play around with the idea of healing and these two engaging words. The result: a surgical thread mending the appropriate response.

Army close1We tried different type sizes to find the right balance between the thread, hands and words. The challenge here was to keep the stitching thread tight, but not so tight as to lift the paper that was being stitched for the photo. The solution was to create the image using separate shots.

First, the thread being held by the clamps were shot. Second, we made a separate shot of the hands. Then, we combined both images using the computer. We used a greenish colour to reference not only the operating room, but also the green of army fatigues. As a contrast, the hands were given a hint of magenta to represent the human aspect of the job.

Finally, we recreated typeface using the computer because the sharpness of my photographs revealed little inkjet dots from the printing process. Sometimes, equipment can be too perfect!

Army close2

Hands Aids foundation rotten apple fresco michelangelo


By Blog posts, Commissioned No Comments

Aids Foundation

This shoot was a request from the Aids foundation to create an image that reflects the problem of aids in a creative way. We chose to shoot the passing of a rotten apple between healthy hands, symbolizing the seemingly innocent exchange of AIDs between two well-meaning people.

At first, the shoot was easy. The hands were shot separately, and the background was created entirely using the computer.

The trouble with the shoot came down to capturing the apple. We had rotten apples in different stages, but they all turn brownish like a kiwi. No one would be able to recognize the fruit as a rotten apple if we shot them as is. So, to solve the problem, I shot the apples separately and retouched the stains on top of a fresh apple to maintain the shape. Now the symbol, and the message, was perfectly clear.